Confessions of a Nerf Herder was kind enough to nominate me for a Liebster Award. I appreciate his consideration.
For those who are as unaware as I was, a Liebster Award is a blog promotional award, operating similar to a chain letter. Once you’re nominated you are “obligated” to return the favor to other unsuspecting bloggers. Much like a chain letter though, you don’t really have to do it, but there’s little reason not to in this setting. You can read more about it at Lorraine Reguly’s Life.
So, while I don’t entirely see the point per say, I’ll humor the concept anyway.
1. Post eleven facts about yourself.
2. Answer the questions the tagger has set for you and create eleven questions for people you’ve nominated.
3. Choose eleven people to give this award to and link them in your post.
4. Go to their page and tell them.
5. Remember, no tag backs.
My 11 Facts:
1) I have two degrees. A Bachelor’s in Graphic Design, and an Associate’s in Computer Networking. I have gotten more work with the Networking degree than the Design degree.
2) As a teenager, I would have movies running in the background while I did other things. I would effectively watch them over and over in a loop — save for rewinding them (this was before the advent of DVDs). Highlights included: Scrooged, That Thing You Do, and Road to El Dorado.
3) I am a mutant. I have five cusps (or points) on one of my back molars. I have the mutant power of not being able to brush my back teeth very well. Despite this, I have had almost no dental incidents.
4) I have never visited anywhere North of the Mason-Dixon line or further West than the Mississippi River valley. The closest was changing planes in Pennsylvania once, and a school field trip to Louisiana. (As of this writing)
5) I have two games framed on my bedroom wall: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for Super Nintendo, and Crazy Taxi for the Sega Dreamcast.
6) My favorite book of the Bible is Judges, likely due to the same reason I like Romance of the Three Kingdoms and the Dynasty Warriors series. Why is there no Bible Warriors game Koei?
7) The first anime series I set out to collect the entirety of was Yu Yu Hakusho. The collection is complete, though not all of it is unedited. They have subsequently released the collection in larger sets, which I have not bothered to get.
8) In high school, I wrote an entire screenplay for a Crazy Taxi movie and sent it to Sega. Shortly thereafter, there was rumor of Sega actually making a Crazy Taxi movie. I never heard back from Sega regarding it, and I subsequently lost my file of the screenplay during a move.
9) On a similar note, I wrote all the dialog for what would have been a turn-based RPG as an ongoing collaboration with a couple of my friends. Those friends moved away shortly after it’s completion. I actually tried to recreate it in RPG Maker, but didn’t get very far. That script was written on loose notebook paper, so it has subsequently been lost.
10) Before information on Ganbare Goemon was readily available, I started drawing my own comic for the Goemon games. I believe I still have some of those, but have refrained from publishing them in any form due to copyrights and my own ego (or lack thereof).
11) The only work I have had published at any point was ‘Los Fuegos Azules,’ which chronicled the misadventures of 3 aliens in college (just go with it). It was a short strip that was published 4 times in the college newspaper. It was typically over-shadowed or taken out to make room for a more popular strip by another author, however.
NerfHerder’s 11 Questions:
1) Who’s your favorite comic-book character and why?
The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles! If I only get to pick one, Leonardo. I love the family dynamic and the four coming together to tackle challenges as a team. I choose Leonardo, at least today, because he struggles with responsibility for his family, while trying to improve himself as well. These are struggles I currently face in my life, so I can relate to him best. Also, I am really anxious to see how he develops following the City Fall arc the current IDW run is doing.
2) What’s your favorite Star Wars film and why?
This was a tough one. I was going to go the safe route and say A New Hope, mostly because I never had the taste for Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi. I decided to go with Attack of the Clones though, for two reasons — a) I love the Obi-Wan detective work going on throughout the film, and I really like how Ewan McGreggor played him in the prequels. b) the climax, while silly, still looks fantastic, and doesn’t over-stay it’s welcome. I often say if you took out the Anakin Sykwalker scenes, this wouldn’t be nearly as bad of a movie. So, I choose Clones, if only as a study piece.
3) If you had to listen to one film’s soundtrack/score for the rest of your days, what would it be?
A Knight’s Tale. For personal nostalgic reasons, and because it’s got a good variety, and songs that can get you pumping. The soundtack for “That Thing You Do” comes in a really close second. The Original Power Rangers Movie and Original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie soundtracks are tied for third.
4) If you could be in one band for one weekend, which band would it be?
“The Wonders,” also known as the “One-ders.” Sure they only really had one hit, but I love the dynamic of the group in the movie “That Thing You Do.” If we’re not talking factitious bands, Red Hot Chili Peppers just to play the baseline on their rendition of “Higher Ground.” I would also like to be in the Police just before they broke up, just to understand why a bit more, and to play guitar on Synchronicity II. These all assume I magically know how to play an instrument with this wish — since in real life, I can’t play anything more than chopsticks.
5) Breasts or bum fan?
If I have to choose, Breast, though I’d prefer both.
6) If you were on death row, about to be giving the chair, what would your last meal consist of?
Greek Pizza, Stomboli stuffed with Pastrami and Swiss Cheese, and every flavor of Oreos ever made, with plenty of milk to dunk them in.
7) If you had a lightsaber, what colour would it be?
Yellow. See Plo Koon and Bastila Shan on that one.
8) Favourite Batman?
If we’re counting the animated show, I’m voting Kevin Conway hands down. If we’re talking “acting -actor” that’s a tough one. Most of those, I either like their Batman better than their Bruce Wayne, or vice-versa. The exception is Christian Bale, who I think does decent at both while not excelling at either. I like Micheal Keaton’s Batman best. I think George Clooney was an excellent choice for Bruce Wayne, but terrible for Batman.
9) Affleck as Batman? Yay or nay?
Yay? Only cause ‘meh’ was not an option. I side with Affleck’s supporters, only because I really can’t get worked up over Batman’s casting. April O’Neil’s casting on the other hand…
10) Favourite death scene in a film?
Land Before Time. *Spoilers* The scene of the mother’s death is handled in such an impactful way, but it comes so early. It drills in the notion that life has to go on afterward. I think it’s important to learn as a kid that death isn’t the end. Close second is Artax’s death in Neverending Story. It comes close, but loses points for magic reset button at the end.
11) When are cord flares going to be deemed fashionable again? Seriously, the looks I get…
I don’t know. When was the last time disco was in style? I’m still waiting for some more Disco Duck!
11 Questions from Me:
1) What was the first video game you remember playing?
2) What is your favorite video game character (originating from a video game)?
3) If you were stranded for the rest of your life on a desert island with Jar Jar Binks and one other item, what would that other item be?
4) Who would you cast for April O’ Neil in the upcoming Ninja Turtles movie instead of Meagan Fox?
5) If you won the lottery but had to spend it all in one place, how would you spend the money?
6) Who is your favorite villain (any medium), and why?
7) Have you ever participated in a project you felt you did not get enough credit or recognition for, and if so what?
8) What is your favorite book you had to read for school, or were otherwise obligated to read?
9) Which of Ramona Flowers’ 7 ex’es would you be?
10) If you could trade places with any historical, non-contemporary figure, who would it be?
11) What is the most obscure game/movie you have ever seen/played?
My 11 Nominees: (in alphabectical order)
Little Sister Gaming
That Gamer Chick
The Arcade Philosopher
The Red Rings of Redemption
You Found a Secret Area!
Congrats to the nominees, and Good Luck!